Thursday, July 22, 2010

The sorceress of Cedar!

http://www.ursulavonrydingsvard.net/site/selected_sculpture/

Tons of images at the above site

The Sorceress of Cedar

by Alexandra Anderson-Spivy

"Ursula von Rydingsvard's dense, eccentric, craggy sculptures fascinate me, yet I can't remember any art that has made me so strangely uneasy. Her mammoth constructions quiver with power and evocative, disturbing contradictions. These cedar creatures, their scarred and striated surfaces frequently darkened with rubbed-in graphite, are monumental yet intimate, crude yet delicate."
http://www.ursulavonrydingsvard.net/site/articles/sourceress.html

I dont know if I agree with the opening paragraph of this article yes her work is eccentric and fascinating but it it doesnt make me uneasy it makes me very happy. I want one in my backyard ir a wall peice like "unraveling" in my house.They are monsters of cedar but the monsters of the good kind like monsters inc. They are delicate and very well thought out. So well crafted and amazing. Monumental scale and a one may say obtrusive I say welcoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment