Monday, July 19, 2010

cave


It may only be this photo but from this angle it looks like the view from inside a cave. The wood in transformed into stone. Hard stone curling out to give us a view of the daylight. Wood can take on so many dimensions depending on what angle of how it is looked at. Also the artist rubbed graphite into the wood to make it appear darker. Different tones of wood give different shadows. I like the was the opening of the "cave" is not straight. It almost dances open giving us the stone feel of an organic material in its natural setting. Not that I was opposed to this peice in the setting it was in. A sculpture park is always strange to go to though. everything needs to somehow fit in the landscape and if it doesnt it just looks out of place...
I dont' know what this piece is called but it haunts me every time I walk past it. It's in the New Paltz Peace Park and it does not fit the space and I cannot imagine any space it would fit. The hard angels and materials don't communicate peace and don't belong in this setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment