Saturday, July 24, 2010

NYC Trip

I saw this building and realized that i was surrounded in NYC by LUBA. Any structure that springs from the earth where it is welcomed is LUBA to me now. It doesn't seem to matter what the materials are now I'm just reminded of the smell of the wood and the numbs and how I felt when I first saw the piece. Skyscrapers In NYC are protrusions from the earth. They are not natural to the world but NY is a city and city's need buildings to operate therefore they belong.








This is a view from the highline. This reminds me of the numbs that stick out from LUBA. Protruding out. With or without purpose. You choose

Llyn Foulkes
Portrait of Leo Gorcey 1969
Oil and synthetic polymer on canvas


When I saw this piece I immediately connected it back to LUBA. The tall mountanous form. Looming over you. Unstable and you below it wondering will it fall. It looks like this peice is representing a rock boulder of some sort. Defenitly a mass from the earth. LUBA as I have said before to me is a mass from the earth. Discoved.

Leo Gorcey (1917-1969)

Leo Gorcey

Born to Vaudevillian parents in 1917, Leo Gorcey practically grew up onstage. As a teenager, he was spotted in a play by a talent scout. When the play, Dead End, was made into a movie a couple of years later, Gorcey went to Hollywood where he worked steadily, mostly in film series such as The Dead End Kids, The East Side Kids, finishing his career in The Bowery Boys comedies. He more or less retired from the screen in the late 1950s, taking on cameo roles from time to time. Gorcey passed away in June 1969, just one day shy of his 52nd birthday. Leo Gorcey Movies Available From Movies Unlimited


Reading about Leo Gorcey and how the peice is a portrait of him in his death year is very intresting. Why a giant boulder? I will get my dad to download me a movie or 2 maybe I can find out

No comments:

Post a Comment